Subject: Re: Spherical mapping (MOON)
From: MoonLighter 110 <[email-masked]>
To: LW <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 11:39:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Marko Dabrovic wrote:

> As all we know moon rotates same speed around earth as around itself.
> Result of those two rotations is famous DARK SIDE OF THE MOON which is 
> not visible from earth. So if someone wants to map the moon he should use 
> planar projection maping to the sphere(of pic taken from earth). But if 
> you want to heve space animation then ... try to play with photoshop 
> filters. Or hope that noone teresival will notice that both sides of moon 
> are the same coz only few of us (humans) have seen it...

Yeah, but the humans that did see it took pictures.  Try getting a lunar 
map from National Geographic and scan/framegrab it.  It is a nice 
2-circle map uniformly illuminated with all craters.  You might have to 
edit out little text though...but it handles all your basic colorwork.  
Not so important with boring old moon, but when you do the same thing 
with a Mars map...

Dave
who likes living near National Geographic headquarters here in D.C...

--
MoonLighter 110 <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]